The Baldwin Public Library seeks a well-organized and community-minded leader to direct the operations of their library. The library is currently evaluating the need for an expanded facility which will enhance the library’s programming and services to the community. The library is part of the IFLS Library System and MORE system.
The library serves a community of 4,000 in northwestern Wisconsin. The Village is located in St. Croix County just north of I-94, less than an hour from the Twin Cities.
Responsibilities: The Library Director reports to a 5-member Board of Trustees and is responsible for the overall management of the library. Essential duties include building and maintaining our collection, managing the library budget, supervising the library staff, and promoting the library within the Village of Baldwin and the surrounding area.
Qualifications: Candidates must be eligible for Wisconsin Grade II certification. Three or more years of library experience is required. Library administration experience and a Library Master’s Degree are preferred. The ideal candidate shall also possess excellent interpersonal skills; the ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with their staff, the Board, the Village of Baldwin and community organizations. Knowledge of current library practices, technology and trends is required.
Compensation: The minimum salary is $51,000 commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate. The Village of Baldwin provides a competitive package of benefits. Please email your resume and cover letter by May 3rd to Baldwin Library Search Committee at: email@example.com
Full job description:
The Library Director delivers and maintains a high standard of library services for the community. They plan, direct, coordinate, and provide reports of library operations in accordance with policies established by the Library Board.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES: Incumbents are expected to learn to assume the full scope of duties, which
includes, but is not limited to, the following:
● Report as executive and administrative officer to the Library Board and advise the Library Board on policy matters.
● Implement the policies and goals of the Baldwin Public Library as established by the Library Board.
● Develop the annual library budget proposal for review by the Library Board and participate in its presentation and justification to the village board. Manage the expenditure of all library funds with the established guideline.
● Seek funding from donors and granting agencies.
● Recruit, select, hire, supervise, evaluate and terminate library staff. Oversee the staff training program, Recommend improvements in staffing, organization, salaries and benefits to the Library Board. Plan and conduct regular staff meetings.
● Maintain functional understanding of all library operations.
● Prepare Library Board meeting agendas and necessary reports in cooperation with the board president.
● Inform and advise the Library Board as to local, regional, state and national developments in the library field and work to maintain communications with other area libraries.
● Serve as chief consultant to the Library Board in regard to technical matters and library policies.
● Assist with direct customer service at desk, performing circulation and readers’ advisory functions.
● Provide reference help and research assistance to patrons.
● Provide information literacy help, instruct customers and staff in wise use of library and scholarly internet sources.
● Inform staff of history, mission, and role of libraries in society as well as basic principles of library science,and promote their observance.
● Select, purchase and withdraw library materials in accordance with library policy.
● Work with municipal officials to meet the needs of the library. Attend village meetings as necessary. Coordinate library activities with neighboring libraries as needed.
● Serve as spokesperson for the library to maintain and strengthen community connections and planning. Align library objectives to community needs.
● Plan and implement library programs for patron groups (ex. adults, children, young adults) to meet community needs.
● Cooperate with Friends of the Library to actively support their activities and promote the library.
● Develop and administer the library’s overall public relations plan, promoting interest in programs through publicity, newsletters, cooperation with various community groups and presentations to community groups.
● Supervise, manage, and when necessary complete administrative tasks necessary to the library’s effective operation, including communications.
● Serve as a member of the MORE Directors’ Council and actively participate in other professional library organizations for the good of the Baldwin Public Library.
● Participate in continuing education activities, including those offered by IFLS (Inspiring and Facilitating Library Success) and the Wisconsin Library Association.
EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS: Knowledge of principles and practices of library science. Hire, train, supervise and discipline employees. Coordinate and delegate workloads and work schedules to set priorities and meet deadlines. Evaluate work performance of employees and maintain high standards of library service. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, village and county officials, library trustees, the general public, and community groups such as the Friends of the Library. Keep current and coordinate the implementation of technology used to operate and manage the library or utilized to support patrons. Ability to interpret statistical data, analyze information, evaluate programs and prepare clear and concise reports and recommendations. Ability to understand, develop, interpret and enforce library policies, rules and procedures to make recommendations for improvements to the Library Board.
Commitment to public service, serving the community in a non-profit setting. Understanding of the history, role, and mission of libraries and passion for promoting them to the community. Possess wide knowledge of a variety of classic and contemporary literature and reading genres in various formats for patrons sufficient to develop a quality, balanced collection of materials and programming. Maintain a general knowledge of history, current events, and academic subject areas sufficient to oversee research assistance. Familiarity with a wide variety of valid reference sources and ability to assist and instruct patrons in information gathering and evaluating sources.
Physical demands include, but not limited to, sitting, standing, walking, climbing, stooping, bending, twisting, reaching, seeing far and near, lifting and carrying 50 pounds or less, pushing and pulling objects weighing 60-80 pounds on wheels.
Qualifications and Experience:
● Bachelor’s degree in library sciences or related field from an accredited college or university, including or supplemented by three semester credits of course work or the equivalent, in each of the following areas (for a total of 12 credits):
○ Public library administration
○ Selection of all types of library materials
○ Organization of library materials
○ Provision of reference and information services
● Three years experience in library setting.
● Possession of a valid Wisconsin driver’s license.
Library Mission Statement
We believe in the freedom to read, to learn, to discover and share ideas.
We provide free and equal access to books, programs, electronic media, and other resources as well as professional guidance in finding and using them.
We offer cultural and educational experiences through opportunities for lifelong learning, spaces to connect and engage, and by fostering a love of reading and commitment to literacy.
As our town grows and changes we will continue to enrich the quality of life here by maintaining a community center that is a vibrant and welcoming place.
Baldwin Public Library
400 Cedar Street
P.O. Box 475
Baldwin, WI 54002
Now longer hours beginning Monday, March 29th, 2021:
Mon/Wed/Fri: 9:00 – 6:00 Tues/Thur: 9:00 – 7:00
Sat. 9:00 – 1:00